Thursday, April 8, 2010

My land of absurdity

Heaven knows I have come to accept my being a Nigerian as my fate. I often wish God could turn to a man so I can slap Him each time I remember that I belong to this land of absurdity called Nigeria. Although, I am not the type that loves or advocates enumerating Nigeria’s problems yet at this point, it is necessary to say I am fed up of watching and living in this land where anything goes.

Nigeria is one country I have never stopped believing in. but I am seemingly becoming a Thomas as everything is at a standstill. I had no choice than to agree with a friend who recently said on Facebook that Nigeria is the most interesting film he is currently seeing. How am I supposed to defend myself (an advocate of a new and better Nigeria) when everything around me keeps voicing out words of antagonism?

Do I continue yelling and shouting "Nigeria, good people, great nation" when an ugly cabal keep bridging the law of integrity in governance? Our leaders and the members of their cabinet have become men with swordish mouths that bear two sharp sides that can kill, because their mouths are full of lies. Absent and silenced are those with knife-like mouths. A virtue that keeps clamouring for more like Oliver Twist among our leaders is candor.

If the good book has refused to teach them about sincerity, let me preach a little sermon about things they can relate with in the physical, maybe their wax-clogged ears will melt:

Egbemi is an undergraduate who recently returned home for her session’s break. In her thoughts before her arrival, she has been raining aspersions on the insensitive leaders of her land who have made her and thousand of other student spend a session plus four months. No thanks to the FG vs. ASUU battle round 10. Little did she know that heavier blows of the government’s inadequacy await her.

Her long stay in school where there was little or no interruption of power supply has somewhat turned her to a princess in the palace who knows no lack. Reality dawned on her when during her first few weeks, her body got bombarded with heat-rash. Guess what a friend said to her, "Welcome on board". She wondered if the ailing administratio’s age-long promise of an upgraded electricity power supply is near fulfillment.

Fear gripped her every morning at the voice of the newscaster on her Kchibo. She owed profound gratitude for this to the Bruce Willis and Wesley Snipes of the Nigeria governing caucus for every minute of suspense she experienced as a non-fiction, action-packaged film kept unfolding.

The daunting existence of poverty around her threw her into a state of uttermost depression. Sometimes she was motivated towards achieving greatness at the sight of it, other times she felt like give up and ending it all. Her heart bled for every new born baby in this land. She felt they have arrived in the wrong place where suffering has become a tradition. If only she could tell the baby Nigerians are people who are accustomed to allowing and accepting things just the way it is. In fact, a typical Nigerian will make a way out even after been pushed to the wall. That explains why an average Nigerian has taken to the use of an "I pass my neighbour" instead of taking actions towards getting what is their right.

Let’s continue hoping that the change we really need will come someday. But as for me I will continue to savour every moment of this laugh out funny film titled Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment